As much as talk is cheap, to some extent, so is strategy. If organisations want to see result, it is certainly not in the belaboured hours spent in “strategic brain-storming” where one tends to walk away with a gilded view of objectives and approaches and every little of anything else.
Without granular (resembling or consisting of small grains or particles), and carefully detailed 3-feet plans, strategies are merely impressive words etched on paper and as pointless. As a rule-of –thumb, only 5% of managements time should be spend hatching strategies and 95% dedicated to drawing out detailed plans for implementation.
2 ASPECT MUST BE PRESENT FOR CHANGE TO TAKE EFFECT
The 3 important attributes:
1. GAME OF THE IMPOSSIBLE
· Incremental improvement do not transform but stretched targets, force an entire system to change.
· Transformation calls for bold, brave leaders like Tony Fernandez, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lord Sebastian Coe.
2. RUTHLESS PRIORITISATION
· Transformative leaders, are ruthless in prioritising their focus areas.
· You cannot excel if your aim is to be the best in everything.
3. GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY
· A hands-off leader is guaranteed to fail
· Must be prepared to dig deep into the trenches with your people.
· Your people will not have the solutions to everything and your role is to guide, make tough decision and give them the courage of conviction and action.
Detail 3 feet implementation
· The real hard work that separates “the men from the boy”
· Moving strategy into execution call for detailed “what-we-do “steps.
- Commitment of management
- Channelled energies to get together
- Transparent and accountable.
Inspiration from brave leaders:
- 6 rules of success
- Trust yourself
- Break some rules
- Don’t be afraid to fail
- Ignore the naysayers
- Work like hell
- Give something back
- Never ever think small
- Think big and shoot for the stars
- Carl Levis
- Believing something and not being afraid of failure.
- Pierluigi Collina (Best Referee)
- Need a new winning advantage
- Lord Sebastian Coe
- You learn more on the day it goes wrong when you absorb the lessons compared to when it goes right.
Shared from article by
Datuk Seri Idris Jala
CEO of Pemandu
In Transformation Unplugged
Star Biz, Monday 26 Oktober 2015.