FORTUNE SEPTEMBER 15, 2015
Abigail Pierrepont "Abby" Johnson (born December 19, 1961) is an American businesswoman. Fidelity was founded by her grandfather Edward C. Johnson II. Her father Edward C. "Ned" Johnson III remains Chairman of FMR. As of March 2013, the Johnson family owned a 49% stake in the company.
Abigail Johnson took over as CEO of Fidelity in 2014, replacing her father, Edward "Ned" Johnson, III, and becoming the third Johnson to lead the company. (Her grandfather Edward Johnson II founded the company in 1946.) Ranked #34 on Forbes’ list of the World’s 100 Most Powerful Women, Johnson now leads the country’s second-largest mutual fund firm and remains one of the few women in the highest echelons of industry leadership.
Abigail Johnson on Forbes Lists
#31 Forbes 400 (2015)
#36 in 2014
#19 Power Women (2015)
The Richest Person In Every State (2015)
#85 Billionaires (2015)
#34 in United States
7 career lessons:
1. No matter how senior you get in an organization, no matter how well you’re perceived to be doing, your job is never done
2. At the end of the day, you know yourself best
3. learn to communicate to very different types of groups of managers with different orientations, different priorities
4. appreciation of being responsible for really important things in people’s lives
5. ask a lot of questions, always probing people for answers