A language teacher was explaining to her class that in French, nouns are grammatically designated as masculine or feminine.
· ‘House’ in French is feminine – ‘la maison
- ‘Pencil’ in French is masculine - ‘le crayon
One puzzled student asked the gender for “computers”. The teacher did not know as the word was not in her French dictionary. So, for fun, she split the class into 2 groups by gender and asked them to decide whether “computer” should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Both groups were required to give 3 reason for their recommendation.
The men’s group decided that the computer should definitely be of the feminine gender (‘la computer) their reasons were:
· The native language they use the communicate with other computer is incomprehensible to everyone else
· Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later review.
· As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your pay check on accessories for it
The women’s group however concluded that computers should be masculine (“le computer”). Their reasons were:
· They have a lot of data, but still can’t think for themselves.
· They are supposed to help solve problems but half the time they ARE the problem
· As soon as you commit to one, you realise that if you had waited a little longer you could have gotten a better model.